Many Gendered Mothers
I edit for many gendered mothers, a project on literary influence featuring short essays by writers (of any/all genders) on the women, femme, trans, and non-binary writers who have influenced them, as a direct or indirect literary forebear.
This project is directly inspired by the American website Literary Mothers, created by editor Nadxieli Nieto and managing editor Nina Puro. While we hope that Literary Mothers might eventually return to posting new pieces, our site was created as an extension and furthering of their project (in homage, if you will), and not meant as any kind of replacement.
Even though we’re new, a lot of terrific pieces have already appeared. Catch up with the essays we’ve published so far:
- Jennifer LoveGrove on Libby Scheier
- Jane Eaton Hamilton on Ntozake Shange
- Elee Kraljii Gardiner on Betsy Warland
- Robin Richardson on Anne Frank
- Laura Mars on Daphne Marlatt
- Evelyn Deshane on Angela Carter
- Emily Izsak on Mina Loy
- Susan Rudy on Nicole Brossard
- Amanda Earl on Sandra Ridley
- Nam-Chi Tran on Trinh T. Minh-ha
- Leslie Stark on Tori Amos, Elizabeth Smart, Jeanette Winterson and Sylvia Plath
- Aimee Herman on Kathy Acker